To combat the risks and risks of lightning strikes, people first need to master the knowledge of lightning prevention and the notes to know when it is preparing for a storm. In addition, each family, agency, and construction site needs to set up a safe lightning protection system to ensure their property, their lives, and those around them. Here are a few solutions for designing a safe lightning protection system:
What is lightning?
Lightning is an electrical discharge in the atmosphere between clouds and the ground or between clouds carrying opposite charges. Lightning can cause injury, even death, to people and destroy homes in a variety of ways. Therefore, lightning protection is called for by the government, which must plan lightning avoidance in time during thunderstorms.
In order to effectively prevent lightning, three principles must be followed:
1. Prevent direct lightning strikes on the structure.
2. Lightning protection through power and signal cables.
3. Lightning-protection grounding system with low impedance and high safety.
Design for direct lightning strikes
The direct lightning protection system includes
– A lightning rod with a large protective radius
– Lightning cable is highly conductive.
– Low impedance, long-life earth systems are very important to dissipate lightning impulse current into the ground.
Lightning protection design for power transmission
The power supply line lightning protection devices will create circuits to protect the power network from the risk of damage caused by lightning strikes on the transmission line to the building or residual voltage due to lightning impulses or residual electrical impulses on the power transmission line. Normally, surge protection devices on the power supply line will have 2 types:
– A lightning arrester is installed in parallel with the electrical network, usually at the input of the power network.
– Lightning protection device: installed in series before the protective device.
To effectively avoid the risk of lightning strikes, it is necessary to coordinate and use effective lightning protection devices depending on the area and type of load to be protected. Besides, the design of a grounding system with low impedance to quickly dissipate lightning current to the ground is also indispensable in lightning protection systems.
Depending on their needs, households equip themselves with suitable lightning protection devices. Currently, solutions to design lightning protection systems are provided by many companies and businesses with many different options and prices.
Regardless, experts always recommend that, after installing a lightning protection system, customers should invite the authorities to inspect the quality to ensure safety, or consult consulting companies and install specific lightning protection equipment.